Thursday, August 2, 2007

Holiness

"We have defined holiness through what we separate ourselves from rather than what we give ourselves to. The greatest tragedy is not the sins that we commit, but the life that we fail to live" -Erwin McManus, Chasing Daylight

Holiness. I bet that you would get a lot of different definitions of what it is.
It is true that I want to stay away from many things that this world has to offer, because it would cause my relationship with Jesus to falter. But if you stop and think about what I might stay away from that would give me reason to say that I am holy might just be something that others all over the world do also, but have no relationship with Christ. So what's the difference? Just like the quote above I believe that the difference is in what we give ourselves to. How we live out our faith.
Do we live out our faith loud or just whisper behind closed doors?
When I think about the quote I think about Christ. Jesus could have just come to this earth and talked about His Father, talked about His purpose, and yes He would have been holy because there was no sin in His life. But He didn't just do that. He gave himself completely to His mission, to His purpose.
I want to give myself completely, totally, and without reservation to Christ. To live the life that He has for me. To follow passionately.

No comments: