Thursday, April 26, 2007

Charlie

The other day we took some of the students to do community outreach at what is called the ROCK. It is a place for inner city kids. We usually try and go twice a semester and hang-out with them. I had the privilege to cross paths with a little kid named Charlie. Charlie was awesome. One of the sweetest boys you'll ever meet. He was only about five or six. He was just like all the other kids, except he has lost one of his legs from the knee down. You would never know that he had a fake leg until you looked closely. What was cool was that Charlie never complained or tried to get others to feel sorry for him. Most of the students that came with us didn't even know that Charlie was without part of his leg.
Most of us will live our lives without the fear of loosing a leg or arm, but most of us will find ways to complain and cry about things in our lives that really don't matter. (Pity party is the word I'm looking for.)
The next time I begin to complain about something, I pray that all I see is the face of Charlie smiling at me with blue raspberry icee dripping down his face (that's what we brought them for snack that day).

No comments: